Man's Greatest Invention

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle. - Elizabeth West

Purpose and Mission


To share our experience and to encourage and inspire others to use a bicycle as a form of year round recreation and transportation. To be an example of living car-free and to help others to make the transition to having a car-light or car-free life style.

Our bodies is the engine that moves us.


Thursday, June 24, 2010

How's your engine running?

I was 9 years old when I received my first motorized two wheeler.  I was hooked on speed from the very first moment.  Acceleration was just a twist of the wrist away.  It was the start of my relationship with the internal combustion engine.  I owned motorcycles for the next 30 years.



During the 30 years in which I was blowing smoke out my exhaust pipes, I was also taking in smoke in the form of cigarettes.  I guess the most I can hope for now is that there is enough time for my body to repair itself from the smoke damage. 



These days I like my acceleration to come from the engine within:  my own body.  One of the coolest feelings I experience is riding my fixed gear bike on the open roads; my legs pumping like a well oiled piston engine.  It's all the more gratifying to me when the engine is not using the advantage of a gear system.  It's the connection of having my feet clipped into the FG drivetrain and having the ability to carry all of the speed my engine is capable of.  It's simply a question of how hard I want to work.



My speed weapon of choice.


It's so much fun winding my engine up and putting the hammer down.  Considering how much damage my lungs suffered over the years, they still run quite well.  How's your engine running?


No comments:

Post a Comment